Monday, May 18, 2015

Learning Log 12 for Fox Lover

Monday, May 18

Games:


  • Telepathy (Deductive LogicStrategic Thinking)
  • 20 Days Around the World several times. (GeographyStrategic Thinking)
  • Tapple
  • Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?


  • Other Learning:

    We reviewed multi-digit multiplication, including multi-digit multiplication with decimals, and worked on long division. I am trying to challenge her without getting to the point where she is excessively frustrated or feels math is "too hard." And I love her perseverance and confidence in problem solving! I think I killed that in my older children by pushing "book math" on them.

    Fox Lover hasn't mastered her multiplication facts yet, but I love her problem solving process. For example, when asked "What is 6 x 9," she realized that 3 x 6 = 18, and 3 x 18 = 54, so 9 x 6 = 54.

    We also talked about adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions in terms of halving and doubling recipes. I feel that makes it much more intuitive. (Math: Computation & Number Sense)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment